As I am retired from the charter business, I can make every effort to arrange for a guided fishing experience with some of our local qualified guides.
Self Guided means just that. You will have to bring your own boat and find the fish on your own.You are taking the initiative to guide yourself rather than our usual option of going fishing with our guide who knows the area and is required to have Coast Guard licensing. It does not mean having the benefit of being escorted by an experienced person that knows the area and has a good understanding of tides and the hazards you may encounter on the ocean. Understand that the rate difference is because you have accepted the risk involved in guiding yourself. The inside passage is completely different than the open ocean. We do not have the extreme conditions or large swells you may see when not protected by the islands of the inside passage. We do have days when the wind and tides do make for rough water. We also have strong currents and extreme tidal differences. It is recommended that before engaging in self guiding that the boat operator/owner develop a strong understanding of the challenges he/she will encounter on the waters of the inside passage. Owning and operating a boat equipped with the latest GPS will help greatly especially if it is loaded with software that identifies all the high spots and rocks in the area. We recommend Navionics Gold or better for this type of excursion.
What you get with the option of going it alone...
You can rent part of our bunkhouse type lodge which sleeps four or a three bedroom apartment with kitchen and living room dining area capable of sleeping up to six.
We can then provide you with assistance at locating the best fishing areas. This is simply a matter of us providing you with a GPS with many popular hot spots marked.
More details about the accomodations:
We offer two options:
1. The "bunkhouse" sleeps 4 in twin beds.
2. The bunkhouse has one bathroom with shower and a fully equipped kitchen.
3. The bunkhouse is open concept with only the bathroom fully enclosed. The rest of the area is open.
4. We are not located on the water. However, the bunkhouse and apartments are close to the airport and ferry terminal as well as the Wrangell harbor facilities (1/4 mile). We are within blocks of downtown Wrangell.
5. We have cable television and cell phone service.
6. We have excellent cold storage, commercial vacuum sealing, fish smoking and equipment rental.
7. We will locate harbor space for you that you will have to pay for at a very reasonable rate.
The Apartment is 3 bedroom with double beds and a fully equipped kitchen. A single bathroom with shower is included.
All the ammenities listed with the bunkhouse are included in this unit as well. Biggest advantage: private rooms